Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#RiversOfLondon mini spoiler-free book review

Rivers of London is the first book in a series of Novels by Ben Aaronovitch where a London Met officer named Peter Grant's life changes for the bizarre, after what should have been a regular encounter with the career advisor at work. Instead, Grant becomes one of the chief detectives in a most unusual case, involving ghosts, magic, victorian drama, spirits of the river and people's faces falling off. 

So as not to spoil the plot, I'll only say that this story is a gripping, amusing and exciting tale, aimed at young adults - the writing style is similar to that of Tom Holt - almost comedic in parts, meets detective story something akin to the wittier episodes of Castle. The characters are all memorable and interesting, and following Grant's tutelage into the basics of all things magical is not only intriguing but believable. He's very much an amateur wizard in training. There are two main story arcs within the novel, that intertwine well with a successful impact on the pace of the storytelling; the first is the tale of the gruesome fantastical serial killer causing people's faces to leave their heads, and the second that of the political, territorial disputes between the sprites and controllers of London's waterways.

The character descriptions, especially those of the female characters (all of whom seem to have heaving, ample breasts) and the description of Grant's upbringing and early career as a half cast African police officer are employed well and believably throughout, 

The story culminates in a riotous outbreak in the streets of London, and our hero detective feverishly tries to solve the case, capture the offending spirit and save his friends. I found myself glued to the pages, despite the sometimes annoyingly long chapters (I like to finish an entire chapter before putting a book down to take a break) and found the conclusion satisfying, but leading up to the next tale in the series, which I'm looking forward to immensely, successfully. 

For fans of Tom Holt, fantasy, magic and science fiction; detective stories, humorous writing and generally good storytelling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment