Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

Ayoade on Ayoade: a cinematic odyssey - my impressions


Time for my obligatory mini review of my impressions of my latest read - Ayoade on Ayoade: a cinematic odyssey. 

If you don't recognise him from the cover, Richard Ayoade is one of the actors from The IT Crowd and the Mighty Boosh and is the director of films such as Submarine and The Double. 

I enjoyed this read, it's witty, intelligent yet bizarre. The main meat of the book is Ayoade interviewing himself in different scenarios about his attitudes towards film, directing and acting. I read this book constantly imagining Ayoade's self acknowledged nasal tones reading it to me, which makes the bizarre sense of humour in these pages somehow funnier. 

The constant numerous side notes and references to the apendix make it a slow read, but worth it for fans of Ayoade, especially of his direction. He's humorously self deprecating whilst somehow being simultaneously ironically immodest. It's hard to explain, but it's never dull, always funny and occasionally interesting and insightful. Would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment