Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#StarWars #RedHarvest - mini review


I've never really been into the pop-horror scene and prefer my scares more psychological than gory, rather watching films like The Shining and the original Alien to that of say Saw or the Texas Chainsaw Masacre. I dislike gore for gores sake, and as such I've never really explored the horror literary scene either.

This Star Wars Novel written by Joe Schreiber is what happens when the Sci-Fi Galaxy from a long, long time ago and so very far away is introduced to Dawn of The Dead. I'm glad that despite my aversions to horror that I gave this a go and although it has quite a few shortcomings I found enjoyment reading Red Harvest.

Definitely falling into the gore side of horror, the story is a strange one. Our main Jedi is something of a botanist, and has a natural attunment to using the force to mainpulate plants. This straight away makes her an interesting and unique character within the Star Wars expanded universe, & opens exploration into Jedi institutions like the Argicultural Corps.

Unfortunately for the galaxy the Sith Lord Darth Scabrous in his completely unoriginal persuit for eternal life, discovers a possibility of using a plant to make an elixir of life. During his investigations he unwittingly restores life to a until recently dead army of Sith, and from here as you can imagine chaos ensues.

The book's not a long one, but I found it a little bit of a struggle, as it feels very rinse and repeat after a while and the long chapters don't do anything for the pace. There's also a complete paragraph lifted from the move 'Taken' which tarnished my opinion of Schreiber from there on in. It comes in as one of the lesser liked Star Wars novels, but it's definitely original and I'd still recomend to fans of Zombies, SciFi and the Star Wars universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment